Table tennis forum
Join our forum and become part of one of the biggest online table tennis community with more than 5,000 members. CLICK HERE!
- Anti-topspin - a rubber type that deactivates spin and speed, returning a "dead" ball.
- Backhand - a stroke done directly in front of the body, with the racket turned so that the back of the hand faces the opponent.
- Backspin - a type of spin where, if struck with a normal racket position, the ball would not make it over the net.
- Ball - is usually made from celluloid, although other similar plastics material are allowed.
- Block - a defensive shot done mostly against loops and smashes, where the racket is in a closed position to keep the ball on the table.
- Chop - a defensive shot that carries a tremendous amount of backspin.
- Dead ball - a ball returned without any spin. Very difficult to execute, read, and return.
- Doubles - a format in table tennis where two people play on each side and must alternate turns at striking the ball.
- Drive - an offensive shot used mostly as a setup or in rallies, where the racket is in a normal position and the ball is struck at a medium pace.
- Drop shot - a surprise shot where the ball is placed precisely near the net.
- Expedite rule - after a time limit (about 10 minutes) has expired during a single point, the receiver automatically wins the point if he/she returns the ball successfully 13 times in a row. This forces the server to change his rallying tactics.
- Forehand - a stroke done to the right-front (for right-handers) of the body, with the racket in a normal position (palm of hand facing opponent).
- Glue - ITTF approved glues are used to attach the rubbers to the blade, and to attach rubber topsheets to the sponge.
- Glue sheet - s plastic sheet which is premade with ITTF approved glue on both sides. It is used as an alternative to glue or speed glue for attaching rubbers to blades.
- International Table Tennis Federation - the international governing body for the sport of table tennis.
- Inverted - See pimples-in.
- ITTF - see International Table Tennis Federation.
- Let - a stoppage of play as a result of a serve hitting the net or interference from outside the playing court.
- Lob - a defensive shot used against high-speed balls, where the ball (usually with unpredictable spin) is returned very high in the air, causing difficulty in timing and technique.
- Long pips - a rubber type whose surface consists of fairly long pimples. Produces unpredictable spin.
- Loop - an offensive shot that carries a tremendous amount of topspin.
- Match - a competition format with the winner winning two of three or three of five games.
- Medium-long - a serve whose second bounce, given the opportunity, would bounce near the very end or just off the table. Difficult because the opponent cannot execute a good attacking stroke.
- Penhold - a grip where the racket is held exactly as it sounds, with the racket handle held straight up and down.
- Pimples-in - a rubber type whose surface is smooth yet gripping. Produces much spin and in many cases better speed. Also known as inverted.
- Pimples-out - a rubber type whose surface consists of many tiny pimples. Produces much control and speed, but little spin.
- Push - a defensive shot used to successfully return backspin shots, where the racket is open to lift the backspin over the net.
- Receive - return of service, usually done tactically to set up an attack.
- Sandwich rubber - a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2mm.
- Serve - the beginning of a point where one player strikes the ball after tossing it. Usually used tactically to set up a strong attack.
- Set - one game to 11 points in a match.
- Shakehand - a grip where the racket is held exactly as it sounds but with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers wrapped around the handle.
- Shortserve - a serve that, given the opportunity, would bounce at least twice on the table. Difficult because the opponent cannot execute a good attacking stroke.
- Sidespin - a type of spin where, if struck with a normal racket position, the ball would travel either to the right or left without landing on the table.
- Smash - an offensive, high-speed shot used against high balls, where the racket is in a normal position to generate the most speed possible. Also called a kill.
- Speed glue - special glue which is used to increase the spin and speed that can be achieved.
- Sponge - is a single layer of cellular rubber that can be glued between the table tennis blade and the topsheet. The combination of sponge and topsheet is called a sandwich rubber. The more the thickness of the sponge the more spin and speed you put on the ball.
- Topsheet - is the outward layer of rubber in a sandwich rubber. It can be pimpled-in or pimpled-out.
- Topspin - a type of spin where, if struck with a normal racket position, the ball would travel over the opposite side of the table without hitting the surface.
Table tennis tips
Latest blog posts
Table tennis e-book
The first table tennis e-book which enriching and broadening the field of coaches' and players' knowledge. Access it from here!
|Yasaka Dynamix 17 with Yasaka Mark V Rubber
|Butterfly Tenergy 05-FX
|Butterfly Energy Force V
|IPong Catch Net
|IPONG Pro Bundle - with Catch Net, 100 Balls and Racket Set
- Butterfly Liu Shiwen in Blades
- YinHe/Milky Way Saturn in Rubber
- YinHe Edge Tape 10mm in Accessories
- Killerspin MyT-Small in Tables
- Stiga Stripe Paddle-Shaped Case in Cases
- Stiga Premium Net Replacement in Nets
- IPONG Tilt Stand in Robots
- Butterfly Archfilor Tour Case - Red in Cases
- Butterfly Archfilor Tour Case - Blue in Cases
- Butterfly Archfilor Tour Case - Black/Sky Blue in Cases
- Butterfly Archfilor Tour Case - Black/Red in Cases
- Butterfly Rebiong Tour Case - Blue in Cases
- Butterfly Rebiong Tour Case - Orange in Cases
- Butterfly Rebiong Tour Case - Red in Cases
- Butterfly Rebiong Tour Case - Wine in Cases
- Butterfly Ryu Seung Min T5000 - Japanese Style in Blades
- Andro Shifter in Rubber
- JOOLA Rhyzm 375 in Rubber
- Xiom Vega Japan in Rubber
- Xiom Sigma II Euro in Rubber
- Xiom Sigma II Pro in Rubber
- Butterfly Chinese EX - Chinese Style in Blades
- Killerspin Stilo7 SVR - Limited Edition in Rackets
- Killerspin Practice Balls - Pack of 100 in Balls
- Killerspin Jet Set 2 Premium in Rackets
- Gambler Six Shooter AMP Classic Cream Sponge in Rubber
- Gambler Six Shooter AMP Lavender Sponge in Rubber
- Gambler Six Shooter AMP Soft Sponge in Rubber
- Yasaka Master Racket in Rackets
- Yasaka Champ Racket in Rackets
- Butterfly Primorac EX in Blades
- Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ in Blades
- Donic Edge Tape - Large Roll - 12mm in Accessories
- Donic Spacer Bag in Accessories
- Donic Waldner Racket Cover in Cases
- Butterfly Tenergy 80 in Rubber
- Butterfly Energy Force X - White Sky in Shoes
- Butterfly Energy Force X Black/Silver in Shoes
- Butterfly Radial Win Speed in Shoes
- Butterfly Pelluci White in Clothing
- Butterfly Pelluci Black in Clothing
- Butterfly Pelluci Green in Clothing
- Butterfly Pelluci Blue in Clothing
- Butterfly Pelluci Red in Clothing
- Butterfly Orthodox in Rubber
- Butterfly Photino Light in Blades
- Killerspin Kollect Ball Picker in Accessories
- Xiom Vega China VM in Rubber
- Butterfly 501 FL in Rackets
- Butterfly Korbel Magic in Rackets